Strathcona County, Alberta – The Strathcona County RCMP and Strathcona County Enforcement Services are again teaming up with community partners this Halloween to ensure all trick-or-treaters enjoy a safe and fun evening.
Joining the team this year will be the Strathcona County Citizens on Patrol, Strathcona County Transit, Strathcona County Emergency Services and Sherwood Park Crusaders Hockey Club.
The Sherwood Park Crusaders will be out walking various neighbourhoods wearing their team jerseys and just like the Citizens on Patrol, will be extra eyes and ears for police while youngsters are going door to door filling their treat bags with goodies.
Again this year Shell Canada has joined the team and provided “Positive Tickets” that will allow youth one free admission to any of Strathcona County’s Recreation Centres. These positive tickets will be handed out to the ghosts and goblins out trick-or-treating who are observed engaging in positive behaviours on Halloween night.
Strathcona County RCMP are reminding motorists to pay extra attention while driving on Halloween night. “Drive slowly in residential areas where children are more likely to be trick-or-treating.” says Cpl. Shayne Gudmundson of the Strathcona County RCMP. “Reduce your speed, stay alert and proceed with caution when entering and exiting driveways.”
Halloween safety tips for parents and trick-or-treaters:
· Wear a light-coloured or bright costume, reflective tape or arm bands to heighten visibility.
· Make sure your costume is properly fitted to reduce the chance of tripping on it.
· Don’t go into the house for your treats; always wait outside.
· Don’t eat any treats until an adult has inspected them.
· Carry a flashlight so you can see where you are going.
· Don’t criss-cross the street or run out from between parked cars. Always go down one side of the street, cross at the corner, and then go down the other side.
· Watch for cars pulling out of driveways and backing up.
· Only approach houses that have lights on.
For some more information and safety tips visit www.strathcona.ca/halloween.