Strathcona County, Alta. - Strathcona County RCMP remind residents that the holiday season is an active time and requires extra vigilance to prevent theft. It is also a time when busy people let their guard down and become more vulnerable to theft. Crime prevention is especially important during the holiday season. Protecting yourself, vehicle and your home from potential crime is the easiest way to ensure a safe and happy holiday season.
Here are some crime prevention tips for the holiday season:
- Lock up houses, sheds, vehicles and any other property that is easily accessible.
- Never leave running vehicles unlocked. Nearly half of the vehicle thefts in Alberta over the past year have had the keys left inside.
- Take photos and record serial numbers of property.
- Do not leave purses, wallets, cell phones or papers with personal information on them in your vehicle.
- If you see or suspect suspicious activity notify police immediately.
- If you will be away from home for several days, plan for someone to pick up your mail and newspapers.
"Many people will spend time shopping in stores and online for the perfect gifts for their friends and family", says Cst. Chantelle Kelly of the Strathcona County RCMP. "While it is easy to get caught up in the fun of it all, it is important to remember that with increased purchasing comes heightened risk of theft".
Residents are encouraged to report any suspicious persons loitering around parked vehicles to the RCMP at 780-467-7741.